Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Shopaholic Anonymous




I have to admit it, I love it! I love shopping, I certainly hope that I am not a shopaholic. And yea, I don't think I can be categorize as one yet. Thank God for self-control. I know, I know, I still crave for Prada bags, drool over boots and gloves and dresses and jeans, heck, even tights and stockings and socks and scarfs and accessories and tops and jackets. And okay, it's true that I still buy books that I have no time to read and used to pile dvds up and haven't finishing watching them before buying another bunch and buy lots of pens that I haven't finishing using. But I window shop nowadays. See, I am refraining!


Here's the test. For YOU.


If you have a closet full of clothes you do not wear with tags and labels still swinging at your sight, shoes that are still in boxes or just a bunch of books or dvds that you have not finished watching or reading. You probably are.


Shopaholics are not dumb or in anyway mentally or intelligencely inferrior than normal shoppers. They are perfectly aware that they have stocked up pretty well in their closets or wardrobes and bookshelves. However, they tend to justify their purchase, i.e.: oh I don't have that shade, yes, I should get it, 'cause it's a different version, and well, this one is just different. In other words, they differentiate the products.


Shopaholic behaviours are plainly impulsive, not compulsive. Compulsive behaviours are a reaction to counteract an upsetting thought or situation. Shopping...it's plain impulsive. I wanna do it, I wanna do it now. So no, people don't go shopping because they are sad.


Shopaholics includes men and women alike. It's just that in most cases, men are "collectors" and women are just shopaholics. No thanks to Sophie Kinsella. Statistics shows that the proportion of men overshopping are the same as the proportion of female shopaholics. And overspending includes services as well, not only goods, e.g.: hair-dos, facials...


There you go. So my dad was a "collector", he "collected" cigars, liquor, cars, furnitures, etc. Mom loves bags and shoes and has her fair collection of parfum. So, I have my books and stationeries. I'll exclude clothings as I still have that area pretty much under control. Whew~


The key to curb shopaholicism or to avoid being one, is none other than self-control. I am learning mine as I go along. Hope you guys are too. =)



With love,

Eva



But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23


The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails